Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Occupy the Castle.

This just in, from two separate third hand sources. They probably trace back to the same original source. Let's look at the possible rumor family tree.  
The rumor:

Castle Green HOA would like to restrict residents' use of the now misnomal "common area".

The "common area" most likely refers to the lobby and salons. They care less what we do on the roof, they don't have to see it. Currently we only have joint custody of the "common area" with the weddings and various events. We can't exist at the same space and time.

Probable reason for this potential new restriction, someone is tired of watching the Capotes drink on the porch, or a potential wedding booker bitched because she couldn't envision her wedding without residents. 

The rumor:

Filming and photography of the castle by its residents will require booking and be limited in its frequency.

Probable reason, they want to make a buck.

The facts:


These can not be consigned to mere rumor because unfortunately both rumors have shown up on Wednesday's board meeting agenda, posted in the elevator. Below that, scotch-taped to the plastic frame that holds the agenda (because there's no more room), is a memo reminding residents that while we are allowed to attend the board meetings, for the vast majority of it we aren't allowed to speak.

I feel like Animal Farm, only soon I will no longer be able to read the memo because my literacy will be restricted.

Suspicion:

The current head of the HOA, also president of the Thomas Paine Society, the eerie society that exists in the basement, does not live at Castle Green herself, so she could give a crap about residential life.

Course of action:


Got me... In a rare political moment I wrote a heads up note with the date of the meeting and the proposed agenda, which I then laboriously distributed door to door (as in I slid it under the doors on each floor). Fortunately the south(?) half of the building holds only tower apartments and those are huge so there were fewer doors to slide my notice under than you might think. Unfortunately, I got the day of the week wrong and had to reprint my notice and re-slide it under everybody's doors. I did make an important environmental comment on my second notice: "please recycle paper slid under your door".

Future course of action:


In the event that the photography restriction passes I have already contacted a local artist to see if she would be interested in working as a sketch artist, so we are able to document future Homeowners Meetings.

Additionally, it has been suggested by residents (and my mother) that if the restrictions on the area formerly known as the "common area" now known as do pass, we Occupy the lobby and salons. While everyone else drinks, I will probably play with my iPad, as I've recently begun taking surveys for money.


.............................................................................................................................


Afterwords

The highlight of the meeting was that one of the HOA members attempted to attend by Skype. Clearly the technology is not there yet, or no one had set the attending iPad to not go into sleep mode. I tried to bring up the "preference settings" but someone said "Wouldn't you rather see the screen saver than his ugly mug?".  Because I've been accused of negative coverage, I'd like to point out that the skyper's mug is not actually ugly.

We learned there's something called an "Incident Report", which occurs when an elevator operator tattles on a resident  for un-castle-like behavior. And to think we tip these guys at Christmas! To be fair, I think they're just trying to keep their jobs and have gone a bit rogue.

The "no non-paid photography" clause was ammended to "no non-paid photography with lots of cords".

The common area use complaint was reduced to "no swearing in the lobby when the wedding coordinator is attempting to book weddings". There was also brief mention of residents "hogging" the common areas, but this wasn't expanded on because the alleged hoggers were present at the meeting.

"No alcohol consumption at board meetings" had been handwritten to the agenda as an afterthought, presumably because people typically turn to the bottle during meetings.  Several people showed up with what appeared to be name brand bottled water but, as Leif asked, was it?

Another handwritten addition to the agenda was "internet exposure of the castle". Clearly they don't see that any exposure is good exposure. It seems pretty silly to me, as my website gets fewer hits than the complaining residents' mouths which say much worse, but it really was about my site. A private meeting to discuss it was offered. I publicly refused it, pointing out my Constitutional right to free speech. I really should read the Constitution if I keep referring to it.

Another highlight was a rare "wedding incident" report (tattling on the weddings) as apparently, during a booking, wedding guests had been seen engaging in carnal acts in Castle Green's basement.

7 comments:

beckynot said...

STORY UPDATE:
A handwritten addition has been made to the HOA meeting agenda to discuss "internet exposure of the castle". I hope it's not referring to my site, but something actually "radical". It's all I can do to not cover their agenda with Hello Kitty stickers in non-violent protest.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's what you call me? Good to know. And good to know who can be trusted and who can't. Plus, your flow chart of info is wrong. I told you AFTER the HOA meeting notice went up and the common areas/photography stuff was listed.
Oh, and my man is not in Pearl Jam anymore and hasn't been for years.
Dan'a

beckynot said...

Please don't read something negative, when nothing negative was said. And I wish I saw dead people.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

This is delightfully funny. Please don't go Hoge on us Anon - "Hoge" it's the new "rogue"

Cafe Pasadena said...

Yes, don't go Hoge. But 1st I hope Becky knows what u mean by "Hoge", PA.

beckynot said...

Not too sure; is it a reference over my head?

Pasadena Adjacent said...

A cautionary tale that dates back 4 years ago to when we were all babes to the blogsphere. Cafe was a witness. Basically, when the arrows fly crooked, best to ignore the archer.

.....and trash Tuesday used to fall almost religiously on Tuesdays, but I blogged more frequently then.