Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I live in a haunted castle.

Hi, I live with my husband and our little dogs in a haunted castle. I know that sounds far fetched, especially since I live in the US, which hasn’t  been around long enough to accumulate many ghosts, or have any royalty to inhabit castles, but still I do. I live in "Castle Green" an old Victorian Hotel in Pasadena, a little city just outside the bustle of Los Angeles, where Hollywood's elite made residences. Look it up, you'll see it's real.

The castle was built at the end of the 19th century as a retreat for rich Easterners, seeking a break from snow or the sun light cure of their Victorian maladies, fainting, fevers, "sadnesses" and prolonged invalid states. The sick came in droves by rail (trains), when rail was elegant and an adventure in itself.  Some of the sick were cured and eventually made their lives in Southern California, but others were not and despite its luxuries, languished and died at Castle Green.

In addition to the ill, those now permanently on vacation at Castle Green, we have tales of tragedy. A servant boy crushed in the downstairs laundry apparatus. One can still see the machinery that killed him today. They’ve placed the new laundry room at the site of the old, and people claim to hear whispers as they're permanent pressing their jeans. We can't have washers and dryers in our own apartments, which were once the hotel suites. So everyone does their laundry downstairs, and gossips between cycles.

7 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

Becky y not start a blog just on the Hotel, uh, Castle Green! It's about time! And I'm glad it's from someone who actually lives there now. I look 4ward to your many future installments of the tales of castle green.

Thanks 4 your feedback on my blog. I just included your new blog on my blogs list of bloggers.

beckynot said...

Thank you, I'm honored. If you know any tales of Castle Green or of historic Old Town Pasadena, I'd love to know them.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Cafe Pasadena said...

Your best bet is connecting with people who live/work in that part of Pas and/or Castle Green, and then also getting leads from them to old timers.

beckynot said...

Recent inside stories are easy to come by, I don't have to leave the house, but older ones are harder. You're right, I need to rally some old timers.

Unknown said...

Are there ghosts there of a father and son and the son died in an elevator accident as a young child?

beckynot said...

I heard a story of a young boy who died in a mechanical (beware 19th century mechanics)accident in the castle. Do you know more about it? Please feel free to write me at beckynot@beckynot.com. I'm adding to the history/stories here, because I've heard more.

Unknown said...

This place ain't haunted the way the hotel cecil is haunted. Located in downtown los angeles.